Thursday, June 3, 2010

Railways & Rollaways

As I am writing this we are sitting on the EC177 train bound for Prague. Luckily for us Stu and I have scored the only 2 window seats in our compartment of 6 so we can gaze out and watch Germany slip by.

We have quite the melting pot of passengers in out little 6 seater compartment; one older German lady, two middle aged Asian ladies, an Aussie man in shorts (Stu) and myself.

Oh and I can't forget our two massive hard Samsonite cases that stand out like sore thumbs! What a nightmare! It is apparent that these cross country trains were not designed with the long haul traveller in mind! Thankfully one seat in our compartment is empty until Prague so my red suitcase is sitting comfortably in Seat 16 with Stus out in the corridor. For anyone planning on travelling Europe by rail I would recommend a small backpack and nothing else! Like I said - nightmare!

Anyway that drama aside (well at least for the next 5 hours) we can now kick back and let the scenery drift by. What a beautiful countryside Germany has. Such a contrast to the cold concrete jungle that was Berlin!

Prague here we come...

PART 2: Dresden - Praha

Hello again. Were now 3 hours into our trip and Stu and I find ourselves alone in our cabin after all our room mayes left us at Dresden - no more awkward silence - perfect!

The countryside is becoming even more beautiful the further south we head. Looking out the window I can see green rolling hills, quaint German homes with exposed wooden beams and a fast flowing river - stunning! This is what I imagined Germany to look like! Let's hope Prague is as pretty!


Location:EC177 from Berlin to Praha

1 comment:

  1. GGRRRRR.....I'm having horrible flashbacks about bags and trains in Europe........Can't believe the lack of suitcase storage space on most of them!!!

    ReplyDelete